Cookie Exchange Finish – #34

The Cookie Exchange is completed.  This was my April One Monthly Goal.  I started this quilt with one layer cake and one Frivoli tin.  I didn’t mean to  buy two of the same fabric, but sometimes that happens.

The Frivoli fabric was 42 squares of 7 x 7.  Of course the layer cake is 42 squares of 10 x 10.  My simple mind came up with a great plan, cut the layer cake to 7 x 7.  Sewed them up and thought I needed it a bit bigger.  So I added piano keys.  It makes me feel so “experienced” to say piano keys, rather than add fabric to the edges.

But I did think ahead on the piano keys and adjusted my seam allowance to keep them all the same, rather than cutting the end pieces to fit the quilt.  I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of that ahead of time.  Ahead of time means before I finished them all, no I thought of it on the second set.

This quilt measures 64 x 64, nice size for hubby and me to use.  This one is staying at my house.  So far it is staying here.

 

I decided to quilt in a cross hatch pattern on the blocks of the quilt.  Once I started what was I thinking.  It took forever.  But I do like how it turned out.  Then I quilted the piano keys edge to edge, which made nice cross hatches on the corner blocks.

I had read somewhere that someone ironed their binding flat and then over.  I thought I would give it a try, since I am working to improve my binding.  It only took about 15 minutes to iron.  The corners really laid nice after the ironing.  Once I sewed the binding I think it turned out nice, especially the corners.  I think with the ironing process I may be able to make my binding thinner.  May try to start with 2.25 wide binding next time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What do you think?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Linking up with Elm Street Quilts – OMG and Inquiring Quilter – Wednesday Wait Loss and

Follow:
Share:

9 Comments

  1. April 25, 2017 / 10:12 am

    I like your quilt, Jan! Although the crosshatching must’ve taken awhile, it sure looks nice! I have the Frivols tin of this fabric, with the blocks all sewn but not into a quilt top, yet. It’s on my list to do, but I like your quilt better!

  2. April 25, 2017 / 12:45 pm

    I can only image how long the cross hatching took, but it is beautiful! I love the simplicity of the design you chose, it really lets the fabrics be the star of the show. It’s a perfect quilt for cuddling in.

  3. April 25, 2017 / 3:12 pm

    I love this quilt, the pattern is perfect for the fabric. Do you need my address? Ha Ha!

  4. Kathleen McCormick
    April 25, 2017 / 3:48 pm

    Can’t imagine how long that quilting took – but it looks great!!!

  5. April 25, 2017 / 4:22 pm

    What a lovely finish! Re binding I only ever cut my binding at 2″ and I have never ironed it. I also read that somewhere recently and was thinking about it – doesn’t it affect how the quilting/wadding looks where you have ironed it?

  6. April 26, 2017 / 7:37 am

    Great looking quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

  7. Terri VandenBosch
    April 26, 2017 / 6:41 pm

    What pretty colors–love the red thread for quilting!!

  8. April 28, 2017 / 10:21 am

    Jan is this a really beautiful quilt! You made a lot of smart decisions along the way and you should be proud of that. Yeah, the cross hatching was hard to finish, but easy to accomplish and the result is wonderful! So great you figured out how to make the piano keys fit. So many people just lop them off. That was really clever of you. Great finish! Thanks for linking up and sharing this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *