So today I ran into a few issues with Quilt #14. My machine just didn’t want to go over the seams. So I fought with it and tried all kinds of things, even taking out my old Kenmore. So in frustration, I decided to start a another quilt and put this one aside for now.
So here is my #15. Merry Christmas. I wanted something quick, so I pulled out some scrap Christmas charms that I got from somewhere.
So now I’m trying to decide sashing or no sashing. You know I can’t make a decision. I think I’ll sleep on it.
I have finished Quilt #11, its been almost a month since I finished the top. I don’t like to have things unfinished, so this one bugged me.
I have to get better at the pictures, just laying them out flat isn’t very interesting. So I will try to work on that, but this is a done project.
I had issue with blue fabric, Joann’s didn’t quite cut straight, so I ended up with about and inch shortage on one part of one of the pieces. Of course, I didn’t realize this until I had completed the quilting. Beginner focus, focus on the one thing, quilting and don’t notice the bigger issue of fabric not completely covering the batting.
So the solution was to make a binding that was wider on the back than the front. I didn’t turn out to bad. I learned 2 things with this finish. ALWAYS check twice on the fabric backing to be sure it is correct size and I don’t like a wide binding. It doesn’t look bad, but just not my first choice.
But here is #11 done and waiting for a home. Not sure who, but I will be giving this one a new home, which was my plan all along.
So I finally decided to cut into my first fat quarter bundle. I bought this last winter and decided I was brave enough to open it up and pull out some fabric for my next quilt.
It is Kate Spain, Canyon.
I love HSTs and had been looking at a pattern that did something more than just line up the HSTs. I decided on The Summertime Herringbone Quilt by Michael Ann Made.
The pattern calls for 6 1/2 yards, so I did 12 fatquarters. Here are the ones I picked
Now that I have them all trimmed I started to layout the top. Of course, I had to try out straight up HSTs, as well as a few other patterns.
#1 Straight up HSTS
#2 Diamond HSTs
#3 Chevron HSTs
Not sure which I like best. I’m going to think on it for a day or so, than go for it.
If you have a preference, let me know. Thanks!
Last night I finished the binding on this quilt and it is now in the washer. Then off to my niece. I can’t believe how it turned out. I really like it, more than I thought I would.
I used a black charm pack as well as a red one. Then picked up three different fabrics that had a nursing reference and cut my own charms. I was really rather easy. I’ve always used pre-cuts, so this was stretching myself.
I need to get better pictures, the kitchen counter isn’t the best spot.
I stole the stripe binding from Red Pepper Quilts. I always love her striped bindings. At first I had planned to wrap the backing around for the binding. But that just didn’t look right. So I headed to the Dime Store in town and they had this great fabric. Loved it as soon as I got it home. I think it was a great choice.
I picked up the backing at Joann’s. I’m always concerned of Joann’s, as one time I picked up a solid there and it wasn’t very nice. It picked up all the lint in the house and just looked messy. I picked this from their Premium Quilting fabric, when they had a 60% coupon. I love it. It is very soft and cuddly.
I love it and hope that my niece, Erin, does to. It is going off in the mail tomorrow to surprise her.
My niece graduated with her BS in nursing. She is a great lady. Was a single mom in her 30’s and she had always wanted to be a nurse. So she set her goals and went for them. All at the same time as raising her son.
She is working at a Detroit hospital on the night shift in the ER. It is a tough place with lots of action, so no soft nursing work for her.
To show her how proud we are of her, I decided to do a quilt for her. Her are the fabrics I have
So off to make a plan and get started. Here is to Lucky #13.