My sister and I went to Shipshewanna, Indiana for the Quilt Hop last month. She bought this cute fabric which has some type of coating on it, making it almost feel laminated.
My goal for July 2017 is to make two or three pouches for her.
Any suggestions for patterns?
Linking up with Elm Street Quilts – OMG
Back in May I started and finished a quilt, Purple in Process. It was my 36th quilt, since I started quilting in August, 2015.
Houston, we have a problem. A bad seam. So I slowly headed off to find a solution.
My options were:
1 – Scrap the project – after about 2 seconds of thought, no that was not an option.
2 – Karen Martin suggested
- I would use a toothpick to add some Fray Check to the edge of the fabric and when dry, carefully turn under the edge and stitch by hand. If all else fails, I have been know to pick out an entire piece, quilting and all, replacing it by hand and then re-quilting that area. In fact, I just did that to repair a tear in one of my quilts. It’s not fun, but once it’s all done, your will be happy you fixed it!
- That “seamed” like the best solution, but I wasn’t confident enough to tear out one block and get one back in. I saved this as my last chance fix.
3 – Ann D suggested
- Sometimes I’ll cut a little strip of fusible web and use that to iron under the seam allowance, then stitch down by hand or machine. I’ve got a quilt I made for myself that does that periodically (lots of homespuns in it). I just trim the fraying, then satin stitch the seam. It shows on the back, but I don’t mind. When it does matter, I hand sew it. The fray-check option works too.
- I thought this might be my answer
4 – Several suggested
- Hand stitch the seam together.
- I liked this solution, but the fabric had frayed so much that there wasn’t enough to sew to.
I ordered Steam A Seam 2.
Once it came, I cut a small piece, just under 1/2″ and placed it under both the white and the green fabric. Gave it a hot press and it didn’t look too bad. Then I stitched the seam together.
Now we know why I don’t hand sew. Can we say uneven stitches, messy!!! Yikes.
So this quilt will not be a gift for anyone. I will now be in my stash of quilts. I am ok with that, it is kind of one of my favorites now.
Love how the quilting on the back turned out with the diamonds and the variegated thread.
Trust me it is very cute.
In January I started the Totally Triangle Quilt Along. It was hosted by Sheila at Mystery Quilter
Anyone who has looked at my post knows the only triangles I do are HSTs. This was a real stretch for me.
Twenty-five blocks done. We did triangles, half hexagons, parallelograms, diamonds, hexagons and jewels.
All the blocks were made with a Creative Grids 60-degree Equilater Triangle Ruler. Each block was very easy if you followed the instructions. There were a few seams ripped out, but I took my time and worked through each block.
Now it was time to put them together into a quilt. At this point, I wasn’t crazy about the white and grays mixed up. I decided that it would be two quilts, of course much smaller than the pattern. Just the right size for Project Linus.
Here is the first quilt, #37. Surprise, Surprise it is straight line quilted, edge to edge. And with grey and white stripe binding. Once done and washed, I really really like this quilt. I used a leftover piece for backing.
Here is the second quilt, #38. I had ran out of the gray for sashing, so went without the sashing. It give a totally different look and feel. I had a scrap left of some colorful fabric I used for backing. But here are more straight lines, edge to edge.
I am glad to have completed my June OMG and will be linking up with Elm Street Quilts – OMG.
Also linking up with Cooking Up Quilts – MCM
I gave my self permission to start a new project, even though I have one quilt still needing a fix.
I am a pre-cut girl. I love my Jelly Rolls and Layer Cakes. Currently, I have 2 Jelly Rolls and 7 Layer Cakes. I decided a pattern from the Moda Bake Shop, All In Good Time.
I had to run to my local quilt shop to buy some thread for another project. It is a very small shop and the girl was helping a woman with fabric for a QOV quilt. So I just waited until they were done to pay for my thread. Of course, to pass the time, I looked at the fabrics. For a small shop they really have a nice variety of pre-cuts. I guess I was meant to buy another layer cake. I should learn it is dangerous to look at cakes, fabric or sweet. They both stick with you.
Picked up a layer cake of Kate Spain Aria. It is so springy looking.
Time for cutting the layer cake and putting it back together.
I have my hourglass blocks together now it is time to lay them out.
In my last post, June Happenings or Not I said I had finished my June Queen’s block.
I thought it turned out pretty good. So I posted it in our facebook group and found out I put it together wrong. So it was time for a bit of ripping.
Here is how it is suppose to look.
I was so careful to read the pattern and the notes that were in the group on what the Queen wanted. There were conflicting directions for the layout of this block, so was glad to have an easy fix to get it right. It turned out cute finally.
Not sure how crazy I am for paper piecing, but maybe in time it will grow on me.
Now I only have my Purple In Process to fix. So I think I can start a new project. Can you tell I am putting off trying to fix my split seam.